The best advice we could give anyone who is new to yoga .... just show up. Your first few classes might be a bit overwhelming until you become familiar with the movements. That can seem daunting, but the whole point of Yoga is to not have judgments toward yourself or the people around you. Yoga is not about competition, it's a starting point for an inward journey.
Here are 10 tips to keep in mind for your next yoga class:
1. Respect your body's limits. Acknowledge that your body and mind will feel different every day. Listen to what your body tells you and practise in your own time following your own breath.
2. Don't come to class with a full stomach. Refrain from eating at least two hours prior to and 30 minutes after your practice.
3. Hydrate yourself with room temperature water before and after class.
4. Arrive early to your first class. That way, you can introduce yourself to the teacher and tell him or her anything that’s on your mind! They have studied many aspects of the yoga practice and philosophy and serve as great mentors.
5. Please leave your mobile phones in the locker room. Do not deprive yourself from a relaxing Yoga experience where detach yourself from your outside world. Also be mindful and respectful to the others who are enjoying their practices.
6. Be clean. (That's probably obvious, but worth mentioning.) Personal hygiene is an integral part of practicing yoga.
7. Wear something that is comfortable to you but respectful to the others. Don't wear loose clothes. Tighter fitting clothes can be helpful so that the teacher can see your true alignment. It will make it easier for him or her to help you with adjustments.
8. Accept your feelings. If you feel emotionally upset during or after a yoga session, let those feelings happen. At times, releasing the tensions in the your body may trigger overwhelming emotions. Observe them and let them go.
9. Try different teachers and classes. We promise you you will find exactly what suits you best.
10. Bring a friend or family member along with you. Spread the joy and love of yoga... 💕
Practise Ahimsa (non-violence)
Be gentle in voice, movements, actions, thoughts, and attitude. Respect the other members and be considerate enough to those who come to their yoga class for a safe, uplifting, distraction free and peaceful environment.